New York Times says mea culpa after oops email to 8 million people
More than 8 million people received an erroneous email from the New York Times Co. telling them that they would no longer be receiving home delivery of the newspaper.
The email, sent Wednesday, was a mistake, the company said.
“A Times employee inadvertently sent an email that was intended for a short list of people to a long list of people,” said Eileen Murphy, a Times Co. spokeswoman.
When the error was recognized, the company sent out another email that said: “Please disregard the message. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.”
The paper also has a blog post on NYTimes.com that says the initial “message sent off a flood of Twitter reactions and calls to The Times.”
There were concerns that the paper had been hacked and questions were raised about whether or not personal information had been compromised, the post said.
Murphy assured readers that there was no breach.
“We weren’t hacked,” she said. “And no private information was shared.”
-- W.J. Hennigan