Dow Jones index hits milestones in rally
The Dow Jones Industrial average had quite a day on Wall Street, with investors pushing the blue-chip index to its largest monthly percentage gain in a quarter century. It finished up 339.51 points, or 2.9%, at 12,208.55. Here are some of the other milestones for the measure, as provided by Dow Jones Indexes:
- Up two consecutive trading days and five of the last six sessions.
- Biggest points gain since Aug. 11, 2011.
- Biggest percentage gain since Oct. 10, 2011.
- Third largest points gain this year.
- Highest close since July 28, 2011.
- Up 501.93 points, or 4.3%, over the two-day period.
- All 30 component stocks closed up today and have done so eight times previously in 2011.
- Today's top five contributors to the Dow's movement: Caterpillar, 3M, IBM, United Technologies and JPMorgan Chase.
- Down 1,955.98 points, or 13.81% from its record close of 14,164.53 on Oct. 9, 2007.
- Up 9.85% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 86.47% from its 12-year closing low of 6,547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 4.70% from its 2011 closing high of 12,810.54 on April 29.
- Up 14.58% from its 2011 closing low of 10,655.30 on Oct. 3.
- Month to date: up 11.87%.
- Year to date: up 5.45%.
-- Joe Bel Bruno
Photo: Getty Images / Data: Dow Jones Indexes