Cruise-ship line defends calls on Haiti after earthquake
Royal Caribbean International, which last week pledged at least $1 million in relief for quake-ravaged Haiti, this week defended its decision to continue cruise-ship calls on its private Labadee resort on the country’s northern coast, which was undamaged.
In a blog post, Adam Goldstein, the company’s president and chief executive, referred to a Sunday story in the Guardian newspaper in Britain that said the decision to continue Haitian port calls had divided passengers.
Among passengers quoted by the Guardian was one who it said posted on Cruise Critic’s online forum: “I just can’t see myself sunning on the beach, playing in the water, eating a barbecue, and enjoying a cocktail while [in Port-au-Prince] there are tens of thousands of dead people being piled up on the streets, with the survivors stunned and looking for food and water.”
But Goldstein said that by supporting the economy, “People enjoying themselves in Labadee helps with relief.”
-- Jane Engle
Haiti quake relief: How to help