L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Parolee accused of shooting Fullerton police officer

March 19, 2013 |  5:05 pm

A 29-year-old parolee gang member acquitted two weeks ago in an attempted murder and carjacking case is now being charged with shooting a Fullerton police officer multiple times at close range, the Orange County district attorney’s office said in a statement.

After being pulled over in a routine traffic stop early Sunday, Marcos Allen Bush allegedly pulled out a gun and shot the officer at point-blank range in the chest.

Bush is accused of firing at the officer several more times, hitting him twice in the arm and again in the leg, before speeding from the scene in his vehicle with an unidentified passenger.

The officer, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, fired two rounds at the vehicle as it sped away, the statement said. It was not known if he struck the vehicle. The officer was hospitalized and is recovering from his injuries.

Later Sunday, as Fullerton and Anaheim police attempted to arrest Bush at an Anaheim apartment, he allegedly ran from officers, dropping a firearm and bullets, the statement said. He was later apprehended.

That same day, California Highway Patrol officers located the vehicle Bush had been driving in Riverside County. Sjanee Duhart, 27, was arrested and is accused of attempting to get rid of the vehicle with the intent of aiding Bush in eluding the law.

Bush was charged with one felony count each of attempted murder, shooting from a motor vehicle, assault with a semiautomatic firearm on a peace officer, possession of a firearm by a felon and street terrorism.

In addition, he faces three felony counts of shooting at a residence and sentencing enhancements and allegations for criminal street gang activity, the personal discharge of a firearm causing great bodily injury, the personal use of a firearm, causing great bodily injury and a prior strike conviction for criminal threats in 2009.

If convicted Bush faces a minimum sentence of 60 years to life in state prison. He is being held on  $1-million bail. He is on parole for assault with a deadly weapon, criminal threats and domestic violence. Bush is accused of being a documented member of an Anaheim gang.

In 2010, Bush was accused of firing a gun at a man, demanding his money, and then striking him on the head and arm with a metal pipe before stealing his car.

Bush was found not guilty earlier this month in a 2010 carjacking and attempted murder case.

ALSO:

Helicopter drops 2,305 golf balls onto school field

Lindsay Lohan has until Monday to turn herself into police

Fake Rockefeller case: Ex-San Marino police officer testifies

 -- Corina Knoll

Comments 

Advertisement










Video