L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

O.C. shootings: Investigators say suspect left suicide note

March 1, 2013 |  1:04 pm

6a00d8341c630a53ef017c37188cfc970b-640wi
Investigators have discovered a suicide note on the desktop computer of the man connected to last week’s shooting rampage in Orange County, indicating his actions were planned.

Ali Syed, a 20-year-old college student, is suspected of killing a woman in his parents’ Ladera Ranch home, fleeing and committing a series of violent carjackings in Tustin and Santa Ana that took two men’s lives before turning a gun on himself.

Since the Feb. 19 shootings, investigators have been attempting to piece together a motive, said Gail Krause, a spokeswoman with the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

“This is shedding some light,” she said.

A document titled “suicide note” retrieved from Syed’s bedroom computer has led investigators to believe his actions were planned, but Krause said she could not elaborate on what specifically was written.

The document was created on the day of the shootings, within an hour of a frantic 911 call placed by Syed's parents from their residence.

Krause said investigators have not found a relationship between the victims and the suspect in the case but will continue to search for answers.

Tustin police investigators are combing through phone records between Syed and one of the victims for a possible connection.

ALSO:

Las Vegas Strip shooting suspect bragged of living fast life

Lindsay Lohan case: Judge refuses to delay trial for car crash on PCH

At least two injured in explosion at Sport Chalet in La Canada Flintridge

--Nicole Santa Cruz

twitter.com/nicolesantacruz

Photo: Tustin police officials mount a photo of suspect Ali Syed before a press conference. Credit: Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video