Dorner manhunt: Agencies consider adding $300,000 to reward
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors and the L.A. City Council are scheduled to consider motions Tuesday to put up $100,000 each in reward money for tips that lead to the arrest and/or conviction of fugitive ex-cop Christopher Jordan Dorner.
The motion by the Board of Supervisors is sponsored by Michael D. Antonovich and Mark Ridley-Thomas and comes after L.A. officials over the weekend announced a $1-million reward for information.
The money was raised through police departments, civic groups, local governments, businesses and private citizens. It is believed to be the largest reward ever offered locally.
Police officials in L.A. said some 800 tips poured in the day after the $1-million reward was announced.
At City Hall, Councilmen Dennis Zine and Mitchell Englander announced they will present a $100,000 motion Tuesday.
"The hope is that the monetary reward will serve as an incentive for the public to provide additional information so that this suspect will be located and apprehended," Zine's office said in a statement.
In Riverside, the County Board of Supervisors also will consider Wednesday adding $100,000 to the reward.
“We are asking alert citizens to turn in any information about this suspect’s whereabouts before he kills again,” Supervisor John J. Benoit said in a news release.
“Supervisor John Tavaglione and I are proposing Riverside County make a contribution to the $1-million multi-agency reward that governments and other donors throughout Southern California are providing in hopes of bringing this tragic manhunt to a close.”
Dorner is suspected in three fatal shootings and has so far eluded capture as law enforcement agencies across the region conduct a massive manhunt to find him.
Those with tips can call (213) 486-6860.
-- Ari Bloomekatz
Photo: A recent image of Christopher Dorner. Credit: Irvine Police Deaprtment