L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Fullerton coach, fiance died of multiple gunshot wounds

PHOTOS: Memorial for slain basketball coach

A college basketball coach and her fiance who were found shot to death in the parking garage of their Irvine condominium complex Sunday night each died of multiple gunshot wounds, the Orange County coroner's office reported Wednesday.

Autopsies have been completed for Monica Quan, 28, an assistant women's basketball coach at Cal State Fullerton, and Keith Lawrence, 27, a public safety officer at USC, said Jim Amormino, a spokesman with the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

He would not elaborate on the cause of death, or give information about how many times the engaged couple had been shot and where on the bodies the wounds were , citing the ongoing investigation.

PHOTOS: Memorial for slain basketball coach

Authorities are still searching for leads in the crime, which police do not believe was a murder-suicide, or motivated by robbery.

Investigators have said little about the crime or any possible suspects.

The two were engaged in January and had recently moved into an upscale condominium complex near UC Irvine and Concordia University, where both were basketball stars, family members said.

Anyone with information is asked to call (949) 724-7192.

ALSO:

Chris Brown appears before judge with Rihanna in front row

U.S. Postal Service customers shrug off Saturday delivery cut

Heroic California hatchet-wielding hitchhiker gains viral fame

--Nicole Santa Cruz

twitter.com/nicolesantacruz

Photo: Basketball teammate and friend Julie Escalera, left, wipes tears as Germita Haynie, center, hugs Stephanie Escalera, right, as they pay their respects in front of photos of Monica Quan during a memorial at Walnut High School on Monday. Credit: Patrick T. Fallon / Los Angeles Times

Click here to find out more!

L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

Glendale Unified, police settle suit over racial profiling

Glendale racial profiling
The ACLU of Southern California announced Wednesday that it had reached settlements with the city of Glendale and the Glendale Unified School District on behalf of eight Latino students who alleged that officials engaged in racial profiling and illegal searches during a 2010 incident at Hoover High School.

On Sept. 24, 2010, more than 50 Latino students were allegedly detained by Glendale and Los Angeles police officers who questioned them about possible gang affiliations. The students were also allegedly forced to pose for mock police mug shots.

In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles in 2011, the ACLU alleged that officials targeted Latino students because of their race and that there was no evidence students were violating laws at the time they were questioned.

According to the settlement agreements, the city agreed to pay $50,000 to the ACLU of Southern California Client Trust Fund, and Glendale Unified and its defendants agreed to pay $50,000 to the ACLU Foundation of Southern California, the Glendale News-Press reported.

Claims against the Los Angeles County Probation Department and the Los Angeles Police Department are still pending "for their involvement in planning and executing the roundup," according to the ACLU.

"Unlike most cities, police departments or school districts, Glendale did not try to sweep this under the rug," said Bert Voorhees, who served as an attorney for the plaintiffs with the ACLU.

David Sapp — an attorney for the ACLU of Southern California — also commended the school district and city of Glendale for "using this incident as an opportunity to review their current practices and adopt new policies that will ensure that students' rights are protected on campus."

Under the agreement, Glendale Unified and the city's Police Department revised their policies regarding future police activities on school grounds.

The school board in November approved district-wide policy changes that require school officials to notify the parents of students who are questioned on campus by police.

Glendale police, meanwhile, has updated training for officers, department spokesman Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.

"The no racial profiling policy has always been in effect," Lorenz said in an email. "We have taken steps so as to not have these types of 'allegations' occur in the future."

Glendale Unified and police officials also agreed to verify that information collected during the interrogations has been destroyed.

For her part, Ashley Flores — who was 16 years old and an A student when she was rounded up with other students for the detainment — said in a statement Wednesday that she was "happy that what happened to us won't happen to anyone else."

"I've never been in trouble and it was confusing, terrifying and humiliating," she added.

ALSO:

Chris Brown appears before judge with Rihanna in front row

U.S. Postal Service customers shrug off Saturday delivery cut

Heroic California hatchet-wielding hitchhiker gains viral fame

-- Kelly Corrigan, Times Community News

Photo: Glendale Unified students take part in the ACLU lawsuit announcement in 2011. Credit: Raul Roa / Times Community News

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: