6 O.C. probation employees fired after Juvenile Hall investigation
Six Orange County Probation Department employees were fired and several others were disciplined after an investigation into security lapses at a juvenile facility, which was prompted by reports of two youths in custody having sex.
The details were released Friday in a report by Orange County's Office of Independent Review, which said it had been monitoring the probation department's "large and significant investigation into staff diligence" at a juvenile detention facility in Orange.
The investigation began after two teenagers were found having sex in a cell when the "staff theoretically should have become aware of the issue as part of its routine monitoring protocols," according to the report.
The report, signed by Office of Independent Review Executive Director Stephen J. Connolly, said the department responded "quickly and assertively" in its investigation. It identified 16 employees who had potentially failed in their responsibility to keep tabs on the youths in custody.
Of the 16 officers placed on administrative leave, two later left the department on their own. Four were found to have committed lower levels of misconduct and were allowed to return to work but were disciplined in the form of suspensions.
The department initially decided that the performance of 10 employees warranted termination, the report said. But after an appellate process, three were brought back, although they faced "significant" suspensions. One person's case is still pending.
-- Rick Rojas in Orange County