L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Two suspects in Northridge mass shooting going to court

December 18, 2012 |  5:23 pm

Two suspects in the shootings outside a Northridge boardinghouse were extradited to Los Angeles from Nevada on Tuesday and are expected to appear at three courthouses Wednesday morning.  

Prosecutors said no charges have been filed in the shooting that left four people dead early Dec. 2. However, Ka Pasasouk, 31, and Howard Ledesma Alcantara, 30, have other cases pending, said the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.  

Pasasouk, who faces murder charges in the shooting, will be at Los Angeles Superior Court for a parole violation hearing in the morning and then be sent to Van Nuys for a probation violation hearing regarding the drug diversion program he was admitted to instead of facing jail time.  

Prosecutors said they erred in allowing Pasasouk to receive drug treatment instead of prison time when his case was heard in September. He has several convictions dating back to at least 2004 and most recently pleaded no contest to possession of methamphetamine in 2011.  

Alcantara is expected to appear in San Fernando Superior Court on Wednesday afternoon for an arraignment in a robbery case that was filed on Dec. 6 and amended Tuesday to include an assault with a deadly weapon.  

A third suspect, Donna Rabulan, 30, of Los Angeles, remains in Clark County jail and is also expected to be transported to Los Angeles. Christina Neal, 33, of Los Angeles, who was also arrested in connection with the shootings, is no longer in custody, said Jean Guccione, spokeswoman for the D.A.'s office.

Law enforcement sources told The Times that the killings appeared to stem from a dispute over personal property, including a computer. The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the case was ongoing, said detectives were surprised the dispute led to multiple deaths.

Authorities tracked the suspects to Las Vegas and ultimately the Silverton Hotel and Casino, where investigators said the group checked into a room Sunday evening. The suspects were taken into custody without incident Monday afternoon.

Authorities also released the names of the victims Thursday. Los Angeles County coroner's officials identified them as Amanda Ghossein, 24, of Monterey Park; Jennifer Kim, 26, of Montebello; Robert Calabia, 34, of Los Angeles; and Teofilo Navales, 49, of Castaic.

ALSO:

Boy arrested in Bieber, Kutcher 'swatting' cases

Jenni Rivera: Exec linked to plane had been sued by Los Tigres

LAPD car searched for possible bomb near Koreatown Jewish temple

-- Adolfo Flores and Andrew Blankstein
Comments 

Advertisement










Video