L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Santa Monica Nativity display to move to private property

December 3, 2012 |  9:22 am

Santa Monica’s much-debated Nativity scenes will be staged after all-–on private property.

Nativity Scenes Committee Chairman Hunter Jameson said Monday the display of Nativity scenes will open Dec. 9 at a new location in the 2700 block of Ocean Park Boulevard between Clover Park and 28th Street.

“We are deeply grateful for the use of this new site to allow all of Santa Monica’s distinctive Christmas Story to continue spreading the message of joy, hope and peace found in the Christ child’s birth,” Jameson said in a prepared statement.

PHOTOS: Battle over Christmas displays

The announcement comes nearly two weeks after a federal judge issued a tentative ruling that Santa Monica has the right to bar Nativity and other seasonal displays in public spaces.

The City Council had voted to prohibit private, unattended displays in city parks earlier this fall, and a federal judge also dismissed a lawsuit filed by a church coalition seeking to challenge that ban.

ALSO:

No Supreme Court decision on gay marriage: 'Just more waiting'

Coast Guardsman dies after suspects ram boat; Napolitano reacts

Jackknifed big-rig closes 134, 210 freeway connectors in Pasadena

-- Scott Gold

Comments 

Advertisement










Video