L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Riverside man dies after kitchen fire

A 65-year-old man died from apparent smoke inhalation after a small smoldering fire ignited in a Riverside apartment's kitchen, a fire official said late Monday.

Firefighters responded to an apartment complex emitting smoke in the 4200 block of Monroe Street about 7:35 p.m. Monday, Riverside Fire Department  Battalion Chief LaWayne Hearn said.

A neighbor had noticed smoke coming out of the complex and entered to find an elderly man sitting in a wheelchair inside an apartment where a kitchen fire had ignited, he said. The neighbor removed the 65-year-old man from the complex, and Hearn said firefighters began resuscitation efforts.

“Unfortunately he did not respond,” Hearn said, “and he perished possibly due to smoke inhalation.”

No other residents were injured or evacuated Hearn said, adding that the fire was “mainly smoke.”

Fire officials have not released the man’s name, and did not provide further details.

ALSO:

Woman fights back, escapes kidnappers in Encinitas

Search and rescue teams save stranded man and dogs

Man charged in torching of homeless woman pleads not guilty

-- Matt Stevens

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: