L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

USC shooting: Former Crenshaw High football star targeted, police say

November 1, 2012 |  8:32 am

The man critically injured in a shooting at a Halloween party on the USC campus has been identified as former Crenshaw High School football star Geno Hall, according to multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation.

Authorities said Hall was the primary victim in the shooting, which occurred after an argument between him and another man. The suspect pulled out a gun and shot Hall in the torso, police said. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition and underwent surgery.

In 2009, a panel of sportswriters named Hall the City Section player of the year. The Times described him as "the most versatile and feared player for Crenshaw High's 14-1 team."

PHOTOS: Shooting at USC Halloween party

Shortly before the shooting, Hall tweeted a photo of himself arriving at the USC party, with a note that said, "There goes the Neighborhood."

Several of Hall's friends tweeted messages wishing him well and encouraging him to pull through. One person, @SpiffieLuciano, who identified himself as Hall's cousin, tweeted to Hall to call the family immediately to check in. He later tweeted: "Pray 4 @Iam_Geno love you cuzzo."

University officials said that the party was sponsored by the Black Student Assembly and attended by about 400 people. None of those involved in the shooting were students at USC.

A flier for the "Freak or Geek" party notes that it was produced by "SC Hype." It was dubbed "The Biggest Halloween Costume Party."

Authorities said the two suspects were chased by campus security officers and were quickly taken into custody about a football field's length away from the crime scene. In addition to Hall, three bystanders were also wounded with non-life-threatening injuries.

Assistant Chief John Thomas of the USC Department of Public Safety said at a news briefing Thursday morning that the shooting was "totally an isolated incident."

"There is no pending danger" to the university, he said.

By the time the campus stirred to life Thursday morning, the crime tape had been removed and classes were being held as usual.

ALSO:

L.A. porn stars show higher rates of STDs than Nevada prostitutes

USC shooting: Classes to be held as normal after suspects detained

USC shooting: 2 suspects in custody; 'No pending danger,' police say

-- Andrew Blankstein, Kate Mather and Teresa Watanabe

Comments 

Advertisement










Video