L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Alleged USC shooter charged with four counts of attempted murder

PHOTOS: Shooting at USC Halloween party

The man arrested in connection to the shooting at a USC Halloween party has been charged with four counts of attempted murder, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said Monday afternoon.

Authorities say Brandon Spencer, 20, opened fire on four people, including former Crenshaw High School football star Geno Hall, at an Oct. 31 on-campus party in what is believed to be a gang-related shooting.

The shooting -- which appears to be the first on-campus shooting at USC in two decades -- occurred in the heart of campus, putting the student body on edge and prompting discussion of changes to the university's oversight of on-campus parties and open-campus policy.

PHOTOS: Shooting at USC Halloween party

Student leaders of the Black Student Assembly and Programing Board, which co-sponsored the Halloween party, as well as the Undergraduate Student Government have said they will review all policies regarding the sponsorship of on-campus parties. USC President C.L. Max Nikias told The Times in an email last week that he plans to announce policy changes this week.

Deputy District Attorney Antonella Nistorescu, of the hard-core gang division, will prosecute the case and request a bail of $2.04 million at an arraignment later Monday. If convicted, Spencer will face life in prison.

ALSO:

Woman's $23-million lottery ticket sat in car for 6 months

Record-setting temperatures expected for Southern California

Mystery note in Stockton restaurant leads to suspected homicide victim

— Wesley Lowery

Follow Wesley Lowery on Twitter and Google+.

Photo: Eugene Hall holds a photo of his son Geno, a former Crenshaw High School football star who was shot at a Halloween party at USC last week. Geno Hall is recovering from several bullet wounds, his father said. Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: