Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Mayoral aide was with official targeted in child endangerment probe

November 29, 2012 |  3:55 pm

City commissioner Andrea Alarcon in 2011. Credit: Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times

An employee of Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told police that she and city commissioner Andrea Alarcon were at a downtown hotel on the night Alarcon’s 11-year-old daughter was found unattended at City Hall, sources told The Times.

Lorraine Green, an administrative assistant for one of Villaraigosa’s top aides, was the first person to make contact with police officers as they searched during the early morning hours for Alarcon, president of the Board of Public Works, according to law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation into the incident. Those sources requested anonymity because the investigation is still ongoing.

The Times reported last week that Alarcon, 33, was the subject of a child endangerment investigation. She has since announced that she is seeking professional treatment.

The sources said Green is not a subject of the investigation, but may be a witness. Green would not discuss the matter when reached by telephone. Peter Sanders, spokesman for Villaraigosa, would say only that the mayor was not with Alarcon "at any time after he left City Hall Friday night," when he was honored during a gala thrown by the group Project Restore.
Alarcon, who earns $130,000 annually in her city post, is on a leave of absence. She was charged earlier this year in San Bernardino County with misdemeanor counts of drunk driving and endangering a child. Her attorney said last week that he expects all but one of the charges to be dropped.
The Times reported last week that Alarcon’s daughter was found at about 11:45 p.m. at City Hall. But new details indicate that the girl turned up unattended more than an hour earlier.

According to law enforcement sources, the girl told police that she secretly followed Alarcon out of City Hall about 10:30 p.m., as her mother walked with a man and woman that she did not recognize. When she caught up with them at 1st and Main streets, Alarcon told the girl to go back and wait at City Hall, the sources said.
Officers with the General Services police force, which patrols city buildings, saw Alarcon’s daughter not long afterward.  About 11:45 p.m., the girl was taken to the Police Department’s Central Division, where she was provided with a meal at about 1:15 a.m., the sources said.
At about 1:30 a.m., Green called the cellphone that Alarcon had provided her daughter that night, according to law enforcement sources. After the girl picked up, she handed the phone to police. Green told police that she and Alarcon had been at the Doubletree Hotel in Little Tokyo, according to the sources.
Once Alarcon was on the phone, she was having trouble understanding what the officer was telling her, the sources said. She arrived at the police station at about 2 a.m., where she was interviewed by an employee of the Department of Children and Family Services.


Storm brings high surf, slick roads to Southern California

Lindsay Lohan to be charged with lying to Santa Monica police

Oceanside husband, accused of cooking wife on stove, due in cour

-- David Zahniser and Andrew Blankstein

Photo: City commissioner Andrea Alarcon in 2011. Credit: Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times