L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

2 seniors dead, 4 sickened in suspected wild mushroom poisoning

November 12, 2012 |  8:03 am

Police were continuing to investigate the deaths of two senior citizens after they ate poisonous mushrooms.

“We have not found any indication of foul play,” said Sgt. Carol Walsh of the Placer County Sheriff's Department. “It looks to be a very tragic accident at this point.”

Two residents of a senior living facility in the Northern California city of Loomis died after eating a meal that contained wild mushrooms picked on the property, officials said.

The women, who were residents of Golden Age Villa, fell ill Friday and were taken to an area hospital, where they died, said Walsh. Officials have identified the victims as Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73.

A caregiver who prepared the meal and three others were also sickened and remained hospitalized Saturday, Walsh said.

“We have not found any indication of foul play,” Walsh said. “It looks to be a very tragic accident at this point.”

Fox40 in Sacramento reported the mushrooms were used in a soup dish served at the senior center.

ALSO:

Soldier from Glendora killed in Afghanistan

Family of Willowbrook man shot by deputies asks for answers

Weather Service issues freeze warning for portions of Southland

— Fox40 Sacramento

Comments 

Advertisement










Video