L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

2 dead after eating soup with poisonous mushrooms

November 11, 2012 |  7:02 am

Police believe the deaths of two senior citizens after eating poisonous mushrooms was a "tragic accident."

“We have not found any indication of foul play,” said Sgt. Carol Walsh of the Placer County Sheriff's Department. “It looks to be a very tragic accident at this point.”

Two residents of a senior living facility in Loomis, Calif., died after eating a meal that contained wild mushrooms picked on the property, officials said.

The women, who were residents of Golden Age Villa, fell ill Friday and were taken to an area hospital, where they died, said Walsh. Officials have identified the victims as Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73.

A caregiver who prepared the meal and three others were also sickened and remained hospitalized Saturday, Walsh said.

“We have not found any indication of foul play,” Walsh said. “It looks to be a very tragic accident at this point.”

Fox 40 reported that the mushrooms were used in a soup dish served at the facility.

The incident remains under investigation.

ALSO:

Rape on MTA bus leaves riders nervous, uneasy

Lakers' Devin Ebanks arrested on suspicion of DUI

Husband of slain Iraqi immigrant arrested in El Cajon in her death

-- Hailey Branson-Potts

twitter.com/haileybranson

Comments 

Advertisement










Video