L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Three-car collision in Ventura leaves two dead, three others injured

October 6, 2012 | 10:19 am

A three-car traffic collision early Saturday in Ventura left two people dead and three others injured, including a 4-year-old boy, authorities said.

Oscar Juarez Cruz, 34, and his toddler son were in a Mercedes-Benz headed south on Victoria Avenue about 12:35 a.m. when they collided with a blue minivan traveling east on Olivas Park Drive, the Ventura Police Department said in a statement.

The minivan then struck a Honda Accord at the intersection.

A 53-year-old man was ejected from the minivan and a 56-year-old woman was partially ejected from the same vehicle. Both were pronounced dead at the scene. An initial investigation revealed that the minivan had failed to stop for a red light and that neither occupant was wearing a seat belt, the statement said.

A Ventura County coroner’s investigator said the victims had been identified but their names were not released pending notification of next of kin. A toxicology exam is planned to determine if the two had been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the statement said.

The driver of the Accord, a 42-year-old man, suffered major injuries and had to be extricated by Ventura Fire Department personnel. He was transported to a local hospital and was in critical condition.

Cruz and his son suffered minor injuries and were able to walk away from the scene, the statement said.

All of the parties involved were from Oxnard.

The intersection and surrounding areas were closed until 8 a.m.

ALSO:

Critics slam LAPD for easing illegal immigrant deportations

La Puente soccer players say they feared school hazing ritual

Parole for Charles Manson follower unacceptable, D.A.'s office says

-- Corina Knoll

Comments 

Advertisement










Video