Stockton sets new homicide record with string of slayings
Eight people were killed within 51 hours in Stockton this week, pushing the city's annual homicide total past the all-time record.
The most recent slayings were an apparent murder-suicide that left three people dead.
The deaths raised the number of homicides in the Northern California city this year to 59, up from 58 in 2011, the Record reported.
The recent series of killings began when a 38-year-old man was shot and killed outside a McDonald's restaurant Saturday afternoon, the newspaper reported. That night, a man and woman were shot in a parked car — the 27-year-old woman died the next day.
Just after midnight Sunday, a 23-year-old man was shot outside a bar, the newspaper said. He was placed on life support and died Monday, the same day two men were fatally shot at a south Stockton apartment.
The apparent murder-suicide also occurred Monday. Police found the body of a 64-year-old woman who had been shot and killed inside her home, the Record said. Witnesses spotted a silver minivan driving away, and officers found the vehicle minutes later at an upscale retirement home just six miles away.
Inside a room at the facility, police found the bodies of an 88-year-old woman and 45-year-old man, the newspaper said. Both had been fatally shot; authorities suspect the man was the gunman.
"I've never seen this many homicides in such a short time span," Officer Joe Silva, a Stockton police spokesman, told the Record. "Our detectives have worked around the clock since Saturday."
— Kate MatherFollow Kate Mather on Twitter or Google+.