Soccer team sexual hazing was recorded, legal claim alleges
Four teenagers who say they were sexually hazed by soccer players at La Puente High School filed legal claims against the Hacienda La Puente Unified School District on Thursday.
The claims allege that the attacks were captured on cellphone video, that a coach knew about the hazing and that the older players targeted younger players.
The claim, a precursor to a civil lawsuit, alleges that the coach "supported and conspired and abetted with students."
Four senior members of the soccer team have been arrested on suspicion of assault and the soccer coach has been placed on leave. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Scott said investigators have identified at least four victims, and the coach is under investigation, but so far detectives have no direct evidence of his participation.
"There are many more victims but most fear retaliation if they report it," said attorney Brian Claypool, who represents the four boys and their parents. Claypool said one of the alleged victims was expelled "after he reported being attacked."
Hacienda La Puente Unified School District Supt. Barbara Nakaoka said she could not comment on any specifics because of student and teacher confidentiality requirements. "The investigation is still continuing by the Special Victims Unit, and we have an ongoing investigation which I cannot jeopardize," she said.
-- Richard Winton