Man questioned in Long Beach Molotov cocktail attack, source says
A man who may be a person of interest in a Long Beach Molotov cocktail attack that left a man critically burned last week was being questioned by authorities Tuesday night, a law enforcement official told The Times.
The official stressed that authorities were not sure whether the man was in fact involved with the attack Friday night. Nonetheless, the official said, authorities were attempting to pursue all leads. The man was apprehended Tuesday night.
The victim was sitting in front of a market in the 200 block of Pacific Coast Highway about 7 p.m. when he was struck by a bottle filled with a flammable liquid and was engulfed in flames, Long Beach police said.
Friends of the victim, whom they know as Raul, said he would sometimes buy food for the homeless. They said he frequented the Brite Spot seafood restaurant near the Long Beach market where he was burned.
"Sometimes we'd be busy here and he'd help us out by clearing the tables and sweeping the floors," Norma Perez, 38, said. "He didn't have to help us, but he would."
Hoping to generate leads, authorities on Sunday released surveillance video of the incident. No other details were immediately available. Investigators said they had not established a motive for the attack.