L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Police release name of suspect in Inglewood shooting

Police release name of Inglewood shooting suspect

Police have identified the gunman who shot five members of an Inglewood family, killing a father and his 4-year-old son.

The suspect, Desmond John Moses, 55, remains at large, said Inglewood Police Chief Mark Fronterotta. He said a warrant had been issued for Moses’ arrest and asked for the public’s help in apprehending the suspect.

Fronterotta described the suspect as a black man of Haitian descent, approximately 5 feet 6 and 160 pounds. At the time of the shooting, Moses was believed to be wearing a black baseball cap and a white painter’s mask over his face.

"The suspect lived in the rear residence…and was apparently in some type of dispute with the individuals who lived in the front," Fronterotta said.

Moses shot the five family members during the 4 a.m. attack at the property in the 4900 block of West 99th Street, where a 400-square-foot bungalow was also torched, police said.

The owner of the property, who declined to give his name, said the suspected gunman lived on the property and had not paid rent for years. He said the suspect went to court to fight an eviction notice and lost his case Tuesday.

The father, 30, was shot multiple times while protecting his children, police said. He and his 4-year-old son died at a hospital after surgery.

“The father was found draped over two of the children, shielding them,” Fronterotta said.

The children's mother, 28, was shot in both legs but managed to jump over the property’s back fence with her 4-year-old son, Fronterotta said. Paramedics found her collapsed on the street.

Her 7-year-old daughter was shot in the chest. Both mother and daughter were in critical condition at a local hospital. A 6-year-old boy, who suffered a gunshot wound to the pelvis, was in stable condition. An 8-year-old boy escaped injury, Richards said.

The Los Angeles County coroner has not identified the victims. But neighbors identified the parents as Filimon and Gloria Lamas, who lived at the address, according to property records. 

ALSO:

Bear attacks woman near Ojai

Man who left daughter in parking lot won't be charged

Newport Beach woman's body found in San Diego County dumpster

--Louis Sahagun

Photo: Residents and police near the scene of a fire and deadly shooting in Inglewood. Credit: Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: