Motive sought in fatal shooting of man on Sylmar street
Los Angeles detectives were investigating the fatal shooting Friday morning of a 29-year-old man walking on a quiet Sylmar street.
Officers thought at first the shooting was gang-related, but after an initial evaluation of the crime scene, victim and other circumstances, that motive has been largely ruled out, said Lt. Paul Vernon, commanding officer of the LAPD's Mission Detective Division.
Several neighbors living near Fenton Avenue and Fernmont Street heard a gunshot and called police around 1:40 a.m., Vernon said. A man was lying in the street, yelling he had been shot. He told police the driver of a gray American-made car got out and shot him.
“The victim had no gang ties that we can find,” Vernon said “He had relocated from North Carolina about five months ago and worked behind the scenes in TV commercials with his girlfriend, who lived about one block away from where the shooting occurred.”
The victim's name was not released because his family, which lives out of state, had not yet been notified.
The neighborhood where the shooting occurred is not known for gang activity and few calls to police are made there.
“We’re looking at several possible motives behind this shooting,” Vernon said.
-- Richard Winton
Photo: Approximate location of incident shown in black. Credit: Los Angeles Times Mapping L.A.