Body found in home of Inglewood shooting suspect not yet identified
Investigators have not yet identified the body found in the smoldering Inglewood home of the suspect believed to have opened fire on a family Saturday, killing a 30-year-old man and his 4-year-old son.
Lt. Cheryl MacWillie of the Los Angeles County coroner's office said Sunday morning that an autopsy would not likely occur until Monday. The corpse was found at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, partially buried in rubble.
The house was rented by Desmond John Moses, identified by Inglewood police as the suspect in a pre-dawn rampage Saturday, allegedly shooting five members of a family who lived next to him. The father and his 4-year-old son were fatally wounded and the mother, 28, and two other children, a 7-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy, are hospitalized in critical condition. An 8-year-old boy was not injured.
Authorities said the parents tried to protect their children. The father was found slumped over two of the children; the mother, despite being shot in both of her legs, ran from the residence carrying the 4-year-old.
Authorities did not release the family’s name, but neighbors identified the couple as Filimon and Gloria Lamas. A woman sobbing at the scene Saturday said the two had been high school sweethearts.
Authorities believe Moses, in his mid 50s, also set the house on fire. He lived in the rear of a lot with two other rental houses, one of them the victims', in the 4900 block of West 99th Street. He had not paid his rent in years and the landlord said he had obtained an eviction order Tuesday giving Moses 15 days to move out.
He was described by neighbors as a recluse, and authorities said his house was jammed with items, complicating the search through the charred wreckage.
Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Tom Richards said the suspect was a "pack rat." The house was so full of debris that a ladder truck was needed to help move it.
"That house was filled to the brim with stuff," he said.
— Kate Mather, Bettina Boxall and Louis Sahagun
Photo: A Los Angeles County firefighter sifts through a burned-out home at the scene of a deadly shooting and fire in Inglewood. Credit: Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times