Body in burned home ID'd as that of Inglewood shooting suspect
The Inglewood Police Department said the man who was found wearing body armor, clutching a handgun and with what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the head was identified as Desmond John Moses, 55, of Inglewood.
The Los Angeles County coroner's office confirmed the body had been identified but declined to release information about the cause of death, saying the person's next of kin had not been notified.
Police believe Moses walked into his neighbors' home about 4 a.m. Saturday and began shooting at the family of six before setting fire to his own home.
Moses apparently blamed the family for an eviction notice he had received from their landlord.
Filimon Lamas, 33, and his wife, Gloria Jimenez, 28, tried to protect their four children when the shooting started. Lamas was found slumped over three of his children; Jimenez, despite being shot in both legs and her pelvis, jumped a fence and ran from the home cradling their 4-year-old son, who had been shot in the head.
Lamas and the 4-year-old boy died. Jimenez, a 7-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son were hospitalized after the attack. An 8-year-old boy was not hurt.
Both Inglewood and Hawthorne police have started funds to help the family. Community leaders and family members gathered Tuesday at the 1950s-themed Hawthorne diner owned by Lamas, remembering him as a hard-working man devoted to his family.
"He was a hero," his sister, Emma Lamas, said.
— Kate Mather and Angel Jennings
Photo: Desmond John Moses; credit: Inglewood Police Department