L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Body found in burned house at Inglewood shooting scene

Inglewood shooting, fire scene

Investigators combing the smoldering ruins of the house of the suspect in Saturday's fatal attack on an Inglewood family have found a body in the debris.

The corpse was found at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, partially buried in rubble.

"We do have a body," said Inglewood police Lt. James Madia, adding that police were taking care not to disturb it and had not made a tentative identification.

The house was rented by Desmond John Moses, who authorities say went on a rampage before dawn Saturday, shooting five members of a family who lived next to him. The father, 30, and his 4-year-old son were fatally wounded. The mother, 28, and two other children, a 7-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy, are hospitalized in critical condition. An 8-year-old boy was not injured.

Authorities believe Moses, in his mid 50s, set the house on fire. He was described by neighbors as a recluse, and authorities said his house was jammed with items, complicating the search through the charred wreckage.

Moses lived in the rear of a lot with two other rental houses, one of them the victims', in the 4900 block of West 99th Street. He had not paid his rent in years and the landlord said he had obtained an eviction order Tuesday giving Moses 15 days to move out.

Neighbors awoke at 4 a.m. to gunshots, screams and the sight of flames engulfing the small house Moses had lived in for at least two decades.

Authorities did not release the family’s name, but neighbors identified the couple as Filimon and Gloria Lamas. A woman sobbing at the scene Saturday said the two had been high school sweethearts.

RELATED:

Police release name of suspect in Inglewood shooting

Police end evacuation of Inglewood area where family was shot

Two killed as masked gunman attacks Inglewood family, police say

-- Bettina Boxall

Photo: Los Angeles County firefighters sift through a burned-out home at the scene of a deadly shooting and fire in Inglewood. Credit: Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: