L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

70 people interviewed in soccer sexual hazing case

September 25, 2012 |  4:31 pm

Detectives with the Los Angeles County sheriff's Special Victims Unit have interviewed more than 70 people as part of their investigation into sexual hazing allegations involving the La Puente High School soccer team.

So far, four teenage boys have been arrested on suspicion of assault for their role in the hazing, which allegedly involved sodomizing victims in a storage room. The case is being presented to the district attorney's office Tuesday.

Authorities said they were investigating whether more suspects were involved. Two of the victims appeared on Headline News with Dr. Drew Pinsky and alleged that as many as 10 older team players were involved in the attacks.

One boy told Pinsky that he went to the storage room where they keep soccer equipment and was jumped by 10 players. They asked, "Do you want it the easy way or hard way?" the boy said. He said he tried to run but was grabbed and sexually assaulted.

The 14-year-old boy said he believes the hazing has been going on for some time and that the suspects  may have also been victims.

Attorney Brian Claypool said the coach told the alleged victims to go into an athletic storage room, where they were "jumped" by four older soccer players and penetrated with "a javelin-like pole."

"The coach told them to go in the room," Claypool said. "Once inside, four big players pushed them down from behind. My guys fought like crazy. And when they got out, one said he saw the teacher wink at the senior player who attacked him."

A coach has been placed on administrative leave by the school district. Authorities do not have any evidence at this stage that he was present during any of the attacks, but they were investigating his role in the alleged hazing.

Detectives believe the hazing has been going on for several years, Sgt. Dan Scott said.

ALSO:

L.A. County jail abuse commission to recommend fixes

Clippers' Matt Barnes pleads to misdemeanor after arrest

Bond trader offers $1.7-million reward for stolen art collection

-- Richard Winton

Comments 

Advertisement










Video