L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Three arrested in fatal Long Beach kidnapping, shooting

Approximate location of incident shown in black.

Three men are suspected of kidnapping and killing a Riverside County man who was found beaten and shot in Long Beach, police said Tuesday.

Hector Campos, 24, died at a hospital at 3:30 p.m. Sunday after officers initially found him around midnight Friday in a Long Beach alley.

Officers responded to the 1200 block of 10th Street to a report of someone choking a man until he was unconscious and placing him in the trunk of a car. With the help of eyewitnesses, officers stopped the car a few blocks away with two suspects inside, police said.

Patrol officers found blood in the trunk, but there was no body, said Nancy Pratt, a spokeswoman for the Long Beach Police Department. Officers returned to where they first saw the car and where the assault reportedly occurred and found a bloody hammer and gun.

While officers searched that area, they received another call from a witness who reported hearing a shot in the 1000 block of St Louis Avenue. When the witness went outside to investigate, they saw Campos in the alley on the ground, investigators said.

Campos was lying in the alley with a gunshot wound to the upper body. Paramedics took him to a Long Beach hospital, where he was initially listed in critical condition.

Long Beach homicide detectives determined Campos had been beaten and left in the alley after being shot. Investigators were able to connect the two men in the traffic stop with the victim in the alley.

Additional investigation led detectives to a third suspect, who was located in an apartment complex near the original assault location on 10th Street.

Campos met the men in Riverside County earlier in the evening. After a dispute, he was assaulted and taken to Long Beach in a car. He was assaulted again before being placed in the trunk of the car and driven a few blocks away, where he was dumped and shot, Pratt said.

The motive for the deadly assault remains unknown. The three suspects being held on suspicion of murder and kidnapping are: Jose Duenas, 19, of Long Beach; Christopher Ramirez, 20, of Mira Loma; and Antonio Portales, 21, of Long Beach. Detectives will seek murder charges against them Tuesday.

ALSO:

Air tests could solve mystery of foul odor in Southern California

Hantavirus in Yosemite: Doctors try to solve disease's mysteries

Talk Back: Should L.A. give library ID cards to illegal immigrants?

-- Richard Winton

Image: Approximate location of incident shown in black. Credit: Los Angeles Times Mapping L.A.

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: