L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Deputies called to Cerritos home of alleged anti-Muslim filmmaker

This post has been updated. See note below.

Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies were called Wednesday night to the Cerritos home of the purported filmmaker behind the anti-Muslim film that has sparked unrest in the Middle East after reports of a large contingent of news media gathered outside.

Authorities said they sent deputies, who spoke to the homeowner, who complained about a disturbance in the neighborhood, said sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore.

The filmmaker has not been named or identified, but a man using the pseudonym Sam Bacile took credit for writing and directing "Innocence of Muslims" in interviews with the Associated Press and Wall Street Journal. Bacile described himself as a real estate developer, who received $5 million in funding for the project from Jewish donors.

PHOTOS: Protesters attack U.S. embassies, consulate

The Associated Press tracked the phone number of the caller to Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, who denied being the filmmaker, but acknowledged being the manager of the company that produced the film. The AP later reported that an unidentified law enforcement source confirmed Nakoula is the film's director.

On Thursday morning, no one answered the door at Nakoula's house in a quiet, well-heeled neighborhood in Cerritos. Three vehicles were parked in front, one in the driveway and two in the middle of the street, apparently parked in haste, one with bags of groceries in the back.

The doorstep was littered with junk mail and a pair of girl's sneakers, alongside a small statue of Mary holding Jesus.

Bob Braun, 89, who lives across the cul-de-sac from the home, said he did not know much about the family but they had lived there for several years. He recalled seeing a tall man who often wore robes and said there had been small children there. At one point, the family had a basketball hoop and trampoline in front of the house.

A man who answered the door at the Cerritos home Wednesday afternoon said he rents from Nakoula, but said, "I don't think he has money for a movie."

Steve Klein, a Hemet insurance agent and anti-Muslim activist, said he has been in touch with the film's producer since the deadly attack at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi that killed U.S. Ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

"He's absolutely terrified because they'll kill him if they find him," Klein said, referring to Muslims who might seek revenge because they are angry at the depiction of the prophet Muhammad in the film.

[Update, 1:54 p.m. Sept. 13: An earlier version of this post spelled the filmmaker's pseudonym as Sam Basile. The Times has been reporting it as Sam Bacile, although he has used multiple spellings of the name.]

ALSO:

Two former Navy SEALs among Americans killed in Libya attack

Anti-Muslim film screening: L.A. gadfly tried to warn city leaders

Anti-Muslim film was cast as low-budget 'Arabian Desert adventure'

-- Abby Sewell, Andrew Blankstein and Robert Faturechi

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: