Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband wins temporary conservatorship of actress
Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband scored a legal victory on Wednesday when a Los Angeles judge approved an agreement naming him the ailing actress' conservator for the next six months.
Attorneys announced the settlement between Gabor's ninth husband, Frederic von Anhalt, and her only child, daughter Constance Francesca Hilton, who in March had asked to be named her 95-year-old mother's conservator after saying she didn't believe Gabor was being properly cared for medically or financially.
When she filed the suit seeking conservatorship, Hilton contended Von Anhalt was keeping her mother "increasingly isolated" and "heavily sedated."
Von Anhalt, 68, will continue to make medical decisions for his wife of 25 years, but several attorneys will provide financial oversight and Hilton will be allowed weekly visits. Superior Court Judge Reva Goetz approved the conditions and set another hearing for January to evaluate how the agreement is working.
Von Anhalt and Hilton have publicly battled for years over Gabor's finances and Hilton's access to her mother. The Hungarian-born Gabor has been in declining health in recent years, stemming from a broken hip and leg amputation that have left her bedridden.
Hilton's attorney, Kenneth Kossoff, told reporters on Wednesday his client was satisfied with the agreement because it allowed others to keep an eye on Gabor's finances. He said the arrangement will "make sure Zsa Zsa's money is used for Zsa Zsa's benefit and not for anybody's birthday party, billboards or mayoral campaign," according to CNN.
Von Anhalt also told reporters he was happy with the outcome, declaring "Victory!" outside the courthouse.
— Kate Mather
Photo: Frederic von Anhalt stands near a 44-foot billboard he purchased for $68,000 as a gift to his wife, Zsa Zsa Gabor, in celebration of their 25th wedding anniversary last year. The billboard was on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood. Credit: Katie Falkenberg / For The Times