L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Placer County fire victim who lost his home calls it 'devastating'

July 16, 2012 |  1:49 pm

The homeowner of the only house burned so far in a Placer County wildfire has not yet seen his property — at least not in person. But he knows all about it.

The vacation cabin built in 1976 was destroyed, but there are still personal items in the rubble to be salvaged, reported Fox40 News in Sacramento.

“Mementos and things are up there, so I would say it’s pretty damn devastating. But that’s life,” said Bay Area attorney Lester O’Shea, who owns the home.

Investigators wouldn’t let people up to the property, but from afar bystanders could see a stove, bathtub and barbecue still standing. The property is surrounded by trees, all of them now charred.

Firefighters remained confident they could get a handle on the so-called Robbers fire, which has grown to 2,400 acres and threatens 170 homes. It is at least 30% contained, according to Cal Fire.

Interviewed by Fox40 Sacramento at the Iowa Hill Store, Ed Barrett, whose home has survived the fire so far, said he hopes “God will be merciful upon us all and extend his grace to Iowa Hill. That we get some containment and this thing will go out.”

ALSO:

Firefighters battle 2 fires in Northern California

Northern California fire burns nearly 2,000 acres

Arraignment continued for parents accused of framing school aide

Fox40 News in Sacramento

Comments 

Advertisement










Video