L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

S.F. Giant Pablo Sandoval won't be charged with sexual assault

July 17, 2012 |  8:56 am

Pablo Sandoval
San Francisco Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval will not be charged in connection with  allegations of sexual assault, the Santa Cruz County District Attorney's office said.

A woman had alleged that the Giants' All-Star sexually assaulted her June 1. But an investigation by the district attorney and the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office turned up "insufficient evidence to support prosecution or arrest," according to a release.

District Attorney Bob Lee said in the release that there were a number of inconsistencies in the woman's story.

"Nothing from the physical evidence and other witnesses helped corroborate her story. All the evidence that might be relevant to the contested issues of force and lack of consent is simply inconclusive," Lee said.

Sandoval's attorney Eric Geffon had previously told the San Francisco Chronicle that it was a "consensual, personal relationship of a sexual nature."

"They simply weren't able to substantiate her allegation," Geffon told the paper on Monday. "We're glad to have this part of the situation behind Pablo so he can focus on baseball."

ALSO:

Stolen forklift used to smash into Sacramento jewelry store

Summer weather brings jellyfish to San Diego County beaches

Girl, 6, abducted, sexually assaulted; search continues for attacker

-- Fox 40 Sacramento

Photo: The San Francisco Giants' Pablo Sandoval watches the flight of his triple in the first inning in the MLB All-Star Game on July 10. Credit: Rich Sugg / Kansas City Star

 

Comments 

Advertisement










Video