L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Natalie Wood death investigation remains open, officials say

July 8, 2012 | 10:21 am

PHOTOS: Natalie Wood investigation

Nearly eight months after the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department reopened its investigation into the 1981 death of actress Natalie Wood, officials said the case remains an "open and ongoing investigation."

Sheriff's Capt. Mike Parker released the statement on Friday, citing "many calls from the news media" asking about the status of the investigation. He declined to release further details.

Chief Coroner Craig Harvey said in a statement that a security hold had been placed on the Wood case, per a request from the Sheriff's Department.

PHOTOS: Natalie Wood investigation

"It is an open investigation and we are cooperating fully with the Sheriff's Department," Harvey said. "This department is making no comments at this time."

The department surprised many by reopening the case last year, two weeks before the 30th anniversary of Wood's death. Some questioned the timing of the new probe — it coincided with a "48 Hours Mystery" television segment on the case, produced in partnership with Vanity Fair magazine. But officials said several sources had come forward to provide more information about what happened that night.

Wood, 43, was on a yacht off Catalina Island on the evening of Nov. 28, 1981 with her husband, actor Robert Wagner, and "Brainstorm" costar Christopher Walken when she somehow got into the water and died.

PHOTOS: Natalie Wood | 1938-1981

Wagner and Walken told officials they had an argument that evening but eventually calmed down. When Wagner went to bed, Wood wasn't there. He thought his wife had taken off on a small inflatable boat by herself, as she had done before, his spokesman later said.

But after 10 to 15 minutes passed without her returning, Wagner went to look for her aboard a small cruiser, the spokesman said. When he couldn't find her, he contacted the Harbor Patrol. Authorities discovered Wood's body about 8 a.m. the next day, about a mile away from the yacht. The dinghy was found beached nearby.

Officials at the time ruled her death an accident, but there has been much speculation ever since over whether there was more to the story. After the new investigation began, the captain of the boat, Dennis Davern, gave several television interviews expressing skepticism about the original investigation and saying he believed that Wood was a victim of foul play.

But two months after reopening the case, a top sheriff's official told The Times it was highly unlikely any new light would be shed on how the actress died.

"At this point, it is an accidental death," said William McSweeney, the sheriff's chief of detectives. "Nothing has been discovered to suggest changing that at this time."

At the time, McSweeney said detectives had conducted several interviews and reviewed the entire original file. They had also traveled to Hawaii to inspect the yacht Wood and the others were aboard.

ALSO:

Earthquake: 3.2 quake recorded near Twentynine Palms

Burbank police find shotgun, $500,000 worth of meth in crib

Council members who admitted affair now have restraining orders

— Kate Mather (twitter.com/katemather) and Richard Winton (twitter.com/lacrimes)

Photo: Natalie Wood, seen in 1969, was known for her roles in films including "Splendor in the Grass," "Miracle on 34th Street," and "Rebel Without a Cause." Credit: Larry Bessel / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video