Garcetti will give back $100 contribution from Wal-Mart executive
Los Angeles City Councilman Eric Garcetti announced Tuesday that his campaign for mayor would give back $100 that came from a high-level Wal-Mart employee, with a spokesman saying that the issue had become a “distraction.”
The Times reported last week that Garcetti received $100 from Wal-Mart’s director of community affairs, Javier Angulo, despite having promised last month not to accept any money from the retail giant. Asked about the contribution, campaign spokesman Bill Carrick said last week that the promise applied to the company, not its employees.
The explanation from the Garcetti camp brought a sharp retort from the county Federation of Labor, which has been a longtime Wal-Mart foe. The group’s top executive, Maria Elena Durazo, responded by declaring that “Wal-Mart money is Wal-Mart money.”
On Tuesday, Carrick said the councilman has decided to return Angulo’s money. “We decided just because it’s a distraction and we’d like to talk about serious things, so we’re going to give back $100 out of the $2.2 million we raised,” he said. “We’re just moving on so everybody can talk about more important things than this $100.”
Carrick made his statement hours after City Controller Wendy Greuel, another candidate for mayor, reported that she had received $250 from Angulo. Greuel, who made the same pledge, said in her report that she had sent the contribution back to Angulo.
-- David Zahniser and Kate Linthicum at Los Angeles City Hall
Photo: Los Angeles City Councilman and mayoral candidate Eric Garcetti addresses the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors last fall. Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times