L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Officer charged in Kelly Thomas' death leaves police force

July 10, 2012 |  3:54 pm

Officer Manuel Ramos
One of the Fullerton police officers charged in the beating death of Kelly Thomas is no longer employed by the city.

Officer Manuel Ramos, who is charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of the homeless man, left the city's employment July 3, Fullerton Police Department spokesman Sgt. Jeff Stuart confirmed Tuesday.

The city would not say whether Ramos resigned or was fired. The city has also declined to comment on the findings of an internal affairs investigation conducted by consultant Michael Gennaco.

Ramos and a second officer charged in the case, Cpl. Jay Cicinelli, had been on unpaid leave since October. Cicinelli, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter and excessive force, remains on unpaid leave, Stuart said.

Officers Joseph Wolfe, Kenton Hampton, James Blatney and Kevin Craig, who also were involved in the incident but have not been charged, remain on paid administrative leave. The officers have been on leave since August.

Ramos and Cicinelli are due back in court for arraignment Friday.

Thomas' father, Ron Thomas, filed a lawsuit against the city last Thursday, on the one-year anniversary of the beating that led to his son's death.

Over the weekend, supporters convened a memorial concert and art show to mark the anniversary and raise funds and donations for the homeless.

ALSO:

Is school hard enough? No way, new report says

Miramonte parents file suit related to children's alleged abuse

With caseload rising, new county social services director named

-- Abby Sewell

Photo: Fullerton police Officer Manuel Ramos confers with his attorney, John D. Barnett, during preliminary hearing in May. Credit: Pool photo.

Comments 

Advertisement










Video