L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Suspect in death of Redondo Beach bouncer released from jail

June 5, 2012 |  8:55 am

Suspects
One of two suspects arrested in the fatal beating of a Redondo Beach bouncer has been released from jail "pending further investigation" and will not be arraigned as scheduled Tuesday, police announced.

Alejandro Avina, 30, of Covina, was arrested Saturday afternoon on suspicion of murder after he and another man allegedly kicked and punched the bouncer after they were denied entrance to Pats II Cocktails earlier that day, said Sgt. Shawn Freeman of the Redondo Beach Police Department.

Officers responded to the 1:47 a.m. attack to find the bouncer, whose name has not been released, unconscious on the sidewalk. He was taken to a hospital, where he died, Freeman said.

Using information from witnesses and surveillance tape that caught the incident on tape, investigators identified the suspects as Avila and 35-year-old Francisco "Frank" Cobarruvias Jr., of Redondo Beach.

Freeman did not elaborate on Avina's release but said police were still looking for Cobarruvias. He was believed to be traveling with his three children, ages 3 to 11, in a black 1999 BMW 528i with chrome rims and California license plate 4GTT805.

Investigators ask anyone with information about Cobarruvias to call (310) 937-6685 or (310) 339-2362.

ALSO:

Election day: Polls open at 7 a.m. for California voters

Transit of Venus 2012: Where's the best place to view the transit?

Divers complete final search for body of missing teen Sierra LaMar

— Kate Mather

twitter.com/katemather

Photo: Redondo Beach police identified 30-year-old Alejandro Avina of Carson, left, and 35-year-old Francisco "Frank" Cobarruvias Jr. of Redondo Beach as suspects in the fatal beating of a bouncer. Avina was arrested Saturday but later released from jail. Credit: KTLA-TV Channel 5

Comments 

Advertisement










Video