L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Second suspect in deadly Redondo Beach bar fight surrenders

Avina, Rene AnthonyA second suspect wanted in a deadly Redondo Beach bar fight turned himself in, police said.

Rene Anthony Avina, 23, of Carson surrendered to detectives at his lawyer's Santa Ana office  about 2:40 p.m. Wednesday, said Sgt. Shawn Freeman of the Redondo Beach Police Department.

He was arrested on suspicion of murder and is scheduled to appear in a Torrance courtroom Thursday.

A warrant was issued for Avina's arrest Monday after authorities identified him as a second man wanted in connection with the June 2 death of 49-year-old bar bouncer Terie Colecchi.

Police say Colecchi was kicked and punched by two suspects after he denied them entrance to Pats II Cocktails after last call.

Colecchi, who lived in Torrance, died at a hospital.

Using information from witnesses and surveillance video, investigators initially identified two suspects in the case as 30-year-old Alejandro Avina and 35-year-old Francisco Cobarruvias, who were traveling in a white Audi registered to Alejandro Avina, the Daily Breeze reported.

Cobarruvias turned himself into police last week. Alejandro Avina was also arrested in connection with the crime but released without charges being filed. 

After he was released from jail, Alejandro Avina told the Daily Breeze he was at home sleeping during the incident. Redondo Beach police Lt. Joe Hoffman later said it appeared that Alejandro Avina was not in the car and that his statement about being home sleeping might be true.

The Daily Breeze reported that Rene Avina is his nephew.

ALSO:

O.C. earthquake that triggered 4 aftershocks downgraded

Investigation continues into South L.A. blast that killed 1, injured 3

Stanley Cup: Downtown prepares for afternoon L.A. Kings parade, rally

-- Kate Mather

twitter.com/katemather

Photo: Rene Anthony Avina. Credit: Redondo Beach Police Department

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: