Sacramento pastor dies from 'flesh-eating bacteria' complications
A Sacramento pastor died this week after a six-month battle with necrotizing fasciitis, a rare bacterial infection better known as "flesh-eating bacteria."
Pastor Linda Snyder of United Methodist Church died Tuesday from complications of the disease, her daughter told Fox 40 Sacramento.
The often-deadly infection develops when bacteria enters the body, typically through a minor cut, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine. The bacteria release tissue-killing toxins into the blood and spread throughout the body as the tissue dies.
Snyder was diagnosed with the infection in January, her daughter said, and developed lung issues and pneumonia several times.
"It's coined this name because it is such an aggressive germ," Dr. Lynn Fitzgibbons of Kaiser Permanente's infectious disease department told Fox 40. "It does tend to cause a syndrome that people worry the flesh is being eaten. That’s how quickly the flesh is destroyed."
— Sonseeahray Tonsall, Fox 40 Sacramento