Port of L.A. police officer hospitalized after exposure to fumes
A Port of Los Angeles police officer was hospitalized Friday after inhaling fumes that apparently leaked from a cargo container in the harbor area, authorities said.
Erik Scott, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Fire Department, said the officer was exposed to fumes in the 800 block of Reeves Avenue, which is on the border between the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. The area is near a rail line that carries containers and a major marine terminal.
Scott said the officer was reported to be in fair to serious condition at the hospital.
About 30 firefighters, including hazardous materials teams from the Long Beach and Los Angeles fire departments, were at the scene, trying to determine the nature of the fumes and to make sure any leak was stopped.
Image: Approximate location of incident shown in black. Credit: Los Angeles Times Mapping L.A.