Malibu High parents warned of freshman hazing
A letter sent to parents by school officials has sparked concern about hazing of incoming freshmen at Malibu High, but the district superintendent said Monday that administrators aren’t sure why the note has created so much buzz.
In the letter sent to parents last week, Malibu High School Principal Mark Kelly and other administrators warned parents about “initiation” ceremonies for incoming eighth-graders that could take place this weekend or next weekend. According to KTLA, the letter read in part:
“We never know exactly if or where it will take place, but when it has happened, it has often been at one of our local beaches or at a gated residence. The 8th graders are often driven to the location by 11th graders. Initiation for girls has included such things as wearing bathing suits and being covered with food, cat food, or other sticky substances and then rolled in the sand ending in the ocean or getting hosed off. We have been told that there is lewd, inappropriate sexual conduct. Initiation for boys often involves violence, usually in the form of being paddled and physical fighting. Girls are humiliated and harassed.”
But Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District Supt. Sandra Lyon told The Times that she had spoken to Kelly, and he said the letter has been going out to parents for at least seven years.
“They don’t have any evidence that anything is occurring, but they sent it out to be precautionary,” Lyon said. “To the current administration’s knowledge, nothing has happened in the many years.”
-- Matt Stevens