Cudahy councilman surrenders after 5-hour standoff with FBI
A Cudahy councilman facing federal bribery charges surrendered to the FBI on Friday morning after a five-hour standoff outside his small jewelry shop.
At around 11:20 a.m., Osvaldo Conde came out of Joyeria Chavez with his arms up, listening to the commands of FBI agents, who handcuffed him and led him away.
The streets around the shopping center at Wilcox Avenue and Clara Street were empty. Crowds gathered a short distance away as media helicopters hovered above.
Mayor David Silva and longtime city employee Angel Perales were arrested Friday morning at their homes without incident, authorities said.
"I'm shocked, I don't know what to say," Councilman Josue Barrios said of the indictments. "We're going to be compliant with the investigation and let justice take its course."
The three were charged with soliciting and accepting $17,000 in bribes from someone who wanted to open a medical marijuana dispensary in Cudahy, in southeast Los Angeles County, Assistant U.S Atty. Joseph Akrotirianakis said.
The three are expected to appear in federal court Friday afternoon for arraignment.
[For the Record, 12:55 p.m. Friday: An earlier version of this post incorrectly stated that Conde had been indicted. He will face federal charges brought by the U.S. Attorney's office, but has not been indicted.]
-- Ruben Vives in Cudahy and Jeff Gottlieb in Los Angeles
Photo: Cudahy City Councilman Osvaldo Conde surrenders to FBI after a standoff at his business on Friday. Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times