Community mourns pastor who died of flesh-eating bacteria
Friends and family were planning a memorial on June 30 for a Sacramento pastor who died after being infected with so-called flesh-eating bacteria.
Pastor Linda Snyder, formerly of Sacramento's United Methodist Church, died Tuesday from complications from necrotizing fasciitis.
Snyder was taken to a hospital Jan. 6 after a wound she had suffered was taken over by necrotizing fasciitis. She bravely battled the disease of six months, friends and family said.
"It is such an aggressive germ. It does tend to cause a syndrome that people worry the flesh is being eaten. That’s how quickly the flesh is destroyed," said Dr. Lynn Fitzgibbons of Kaiser Permanente's infectious disease department.
"She developed lots of complications as a result of the bacteria and surgeries to contain the bacteria. Her lungs were really scarred and she had lots of lung issues and pneumonia almost nonstop," Karen told FOX40.
Snyder's daughter and other loved ones were able to be with her when she died.
"She was a woman of faith and that gave her the strength and passion to live her life," said her daughter Karen.
-- Sonseeahray Tonsall, Fox 40 News