L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Beaumont brush fire 70% contained, officials say

June 18, 2012 |  5:58 am

A wildfire in a remote area south of Beaumont that had grown to more than 2,200 acres was 70% contained as of Sunday night and is expected to be fully contained by late Monday, officials said.

The blaze, which broke out Saturday afternoon and grew rapidly throughout the day, is expected to be fully contained by about 6 p.m., fire officials said. Initially, containment had been expected Sunday at midnight, according to Melody Hendrickson with Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Department.

Hendrickson said no structures were threatened by the fire and that no injures had been reported. She said the cause of the blaze was still under investigation.

Officials said about 445 firefighters, 24 fire engines, five air tankers and other resources were continuing to battle the fire, which had been stoked by steady winds over the weekend.

ALSO:

Rodney King, key L.A. riots figure, dead at 47

2 Boyle Heights taco truck patrons killed by alleged drunk driver

Deputies break up drinking party in Encinitas with 200 teenagers

-- Matt Stevens
twitter.com/mattstevenslat

Comments 

Advertisement










Video