L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Beaumont brush fire expected to be fully contained by Monday night [Updated]

June 17, 2012 |  1:32 pm

A wildfire in a remote area south of Beaumont that had grown to more than 2,200 acres is expected to be fully contained by Monday night, fire officials said.

[Updated at 5:52 p.m.: Full containment is now expected to occur at approximately 6 p.m. Monday, fire officials said. Initially, containment was expected Sunday at midnight.]

The blaze, which broke out Saturday afternoon and grew rapidly throughout the day, is currently 60% contained, according to Melody Hendrickson with CAL Fire/Riverside County Fire Department.

Hendrickson said no structures were threatened by the fire and no injures had been reported. She said the cause of the fire was still under investigation.

About 445 firefighters, 24 fire engines and five air tankers along with other resources were continuing to battle the blaze, which had been stoked by steady winds over the weekend.

The Fire Department said further updates would be available about 7 p.m. Sunday.

ALSO:

Rodney King, key L.A. riots figure, dead at 47

2 Boyle Heights taco truck patrons killed by alleged drunk driver

Deputies break up drinking party in Encinitas with 200 teenagers

-- Matt Stevens

twitter.com/mattstevenslat

Comments 

Advertisement










Video