L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Mother of slain O.C. woman disbelieving about daughter's death

Shazer Limas

The mother of a woman who was killed along with her two children said she does not fully believe her daughter is dead.

Authorities say Arlet Hernandez Contreras was killed by her boyfriend, Shazer Fernando Limas, last month. Her body was later found in a La Puente gutter. Police believe Limas also killed the couple's two young sons, a 2-year-old and a 4-month-old. Their bodies remain missing.

On Monday, in a phone interview with The Times, Mayra Contreras confirmed that she had heard the news of her daughter's death but said she wants proof.

Contreras said her daughter had known Limas for three years, adding that they met when he worked for a company that sold contracts and franchises to clean offices in Orange County.

She said her family came from the Coyoacan district of Mexico City 10 years ago and had held many jobs since arriving. It was when the family was in the office-cleaning business that they met Limas, a man Contreras referred to as “that bad person.”

Prosecutors charged Limas with three counts of special circumstances murder, which they say make him eligible for the death penalty. Limas is being held without bail. His arraignment was continued until May 23.

In a statement from the Orange County district attorney’s office, prosecutors allege that Limas carried out the crimes on April 1, and subsequently went to the hospital for surgery to repair a cut to his hand. They say he later bought "sundry” supplies at a Home Depot and moved out of the apartment in the 3000 block of West Chapman Avenue, where the killings took place.

On April 25, authorities say, the man disposed of his girlfriend’s body hours before it was found on a La Puente street in the gutter. Police were first contacted about blood in Limas’ vacant apartment May 3, weeks after prosecutors say the mother and children were killed. 

Limas was arrested late Thursday after a police chase and standoff on the 5 Freeway near the San Onofre nuclear power plant in San Diego County, Orange police Sgt. Dan Adams said.

Police have spent days searching a Brea landfill, looking for the bodies of the two young boys. Adams said the search was temporarily called off Monday because of “logistical issues” with the police dogs but will probably resume Tuesday.

ALSO:

Kelly Thomas video: 'Dad, they are killing me'

Monitor finds delays in L.A. sheriff's handling of complaints

Disney to add members to 'secret' Club 33 and open new club

-- Sam Quinones and Matt Stevens  

Photo: Shazer Limas.  Credit: Orange Police Department

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: