L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Police continue landfill search for bodies of two missing boys

May 7, 2012 |  9:03 am

  Police investigators from the city of Orange will return to a Brea landfill Monday morning for the fifth time and plan to remain there through the day as they continue their search for two missing boys feared dead after their mother was found stabbed to death.

Detectives began looking for 31-year-old Arlet Hernandez Contreras and her sons, a 4-month-old and 2-year-old, after apartment managers found blood and other evidence in a unit the three shared with Shazer Fernando Limas, Orange police Sgt. Dan Adams said.

Limas, 31, identified as Contreras’ boyfriend and the boys’ father, moved out of the apartment last month. The evidence suggests Contreras and the children were killed inside, police said.

Contreras’ body was found at the Los Angeles County morgue Friday after detectives contacted the coroner looking for unidentified female bodies, Adams said. The body was originally discovered April 25 in La Puente. People were walking in the industrial area when they discovered the woman's body in the street.

Trash from the apartment complex is taken to the Brea landfill, which investigators first started searching Thursday night, Adams said.

Limas was arrested late Thursday after a police chase and standoff on the 5 Freeway near the San Onofre nuclear plant in San Diego County, Adams said. He was booked in the Orange County Jail on murder charges.

ALSO:

Shark reportedly bites teen girl's paddleboard near Catalina

Student forgotten in jail: UCSD students denounce treatment

Kelly Thomas: D.A. to play video of fatal beating at officers' hearing

— Kate Mather and Matt Stevens

Comments 

Advertisement










Video