L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Doctors say teens go to hospitals after drinking hand sanitizer

April 23, 2012 |  3:39 pm

 

Doctors are warning parents about a dangerous new trend after six teenagers drank hand sanitizer and ended up in San Fernando Valley emergency rooms with alcohol poisoning.

Teenagers are using salt to separate the alcohol from the sanitizer, doctors said.

"It's essentially a shot of hard liquor," said Cyrus Rangan, director of the toxicology bureau for the Los Angeles County public health department and a medical toxicology consultant for Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. "All it takes is just a few swallows and you have a drunk teenager."

Although there have been only a few cases, Rangan said the practice could easily become a larger problem. Bottles of hand sanitizers are inexpensive and accessible and teens can find instructions on distillation on the Internet.

"It is kind of scary that they go to that extent to get a shot of essentially hard liquor," Rangan said.

In addition to the teens who intentionally drank the sanitizer, younger children also have accidentally ingested it in the past.

The liquid hand sanitizer is 62% ethyl alcohol and makes a 120-proof liquid. A few drinks can cause a person’s speech to slur and stomach to burn, and make them so drunk that they have to be monitored in the emergency room.

Doctors said this is the latest over-the-counter product teens have adapted for a quick high. Teens have done the same with mouthwash, cough syrup and even vanilla extract.

"Over the years, they have ingested all sorts of things," said Helen Arbogast, injury prevention coordinator in the trauma program at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. "Cough syrup had reached a very sexy point where young people were using it.... We want to be sure this doesn’t take on the same trend."

The recent cases involving teenagers surprised doctors. There were no such cases last year. They also raised concerns about the lack of awareness among parents of the risks linked to the popular hygiene product. Even small bottles contain highly concentrated alcohol.

If parents buy hand sanitizer, they should purchase the foam version rather than the gel type because it is harder to extract the alcohol and teens may be less likely to drink it.

?Parents also shouldn't leave hand sanitizer around the house and should monitor it like any other liquor or medication.

ALSO:

Meteor shower creates loud 'boom' over Northern California 

Port Theater in Corona del Mar to star at Newport film festival

Army veteran slain in Lancaster had survived three tours of duty

-- Anna Gorman

twitter / @agorman

Comments 

Advertisement










Video