D.A. sends Pasadena fatal shooting case back to police
The Los Angeles County district attorney's office said Monday it has opted not to file charges against a 911 caller in the shooting of an unarmed man in Pasadena and instead referred the case back to police for further investigation.
Oscar Carrillo, 26, was arrested last Wednesday for involuntary manslaughter in the death of Kendrec McDade, 19, who was fatally shot March 24 by Pasadena police Officers Jeffrey Newlen and Mathew Griffin.
Carrillo told a 911 operator two young men had stolen his backpack and laptop at gunpoint. Minutes later, two officers shot McDade a few blocks away, believing he was armed.
Carrillo admitted to detectives he lied about a gun. The incident has sparked tensions in a community with a long history of divisive relations between the Police Department and the African American community.
The immigration hold asks officials not to release Carrillo because he is believed to be in the United States illegally.
It was unclear Monday how many more days officials could hold Carrillo without any charges being filed.
Police arrested him Wednesday on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter, saying he deliberately misled authorities in a lie that contributed to the fatal shooting.
McDade had been a football standout at Azusa High School.
-- Richard Winton
Photo: Asuza High School student Maressa Loera, 17, second from right, prays with family members as she mourns her friend Kendrec McDade, a 19-year-old Citrus College student, at a memorial in Pasadena on March 29. Credit: Damian Dovarganes / Associated Press