Oakland college gunman tells TV station he's 'deeply sorry'
The man charged with fatally shooting seven people at a small Oakland Christian college last week told a television station Wednesday that he was “deeply sorry” but acknowledged that words don’t help.
In an exclusive jailhouse interview with KPIX-TV Channel 5 in San Francisco, the alleged killer, One Goh, appeared shaken and remorseful, the television station reported on its website.
“Families are so angry with me,” Goh, 43, told reporter Juliette Goodrich at the Santa Rita Jail in Dublin, the station reported. “[But] if I tell them sorry, it doesn’t bring anybody back.”
Goh has been charged with seven counts of murder with special circumstances and three counts of attempted murder in the April 2 shooting at Oikos University.
According to police and school officials, Goh arrived on campus the day of killings looking for a certain administrator. When he couldn't find her, he grabbed a secretary and headed to a classroom where he ordered the students inside to line up against the wall, officials said. When some refused, he opened fire.
By the end of his rampage, police said, six women and one man were dead. They ranged in age from 21 to 53 and were from South Korea, Nigeria, Nepal and the Philippines.
“I have a lawyer and I have told him everything,” Goh, a South Korea native, told CBS-5. “He advised me not to talk, but I am sorry.”
The television station said Goh sat dejectedly with his head in his arms during the interview.
The Times earlier reported that Goh had been expelled from Oikos for behavioral problems and anger management issues. According to authorities, he had been teased for his broken English, and he felt bullied and angry.
On Monday, Goh told KPIX-TV that he was studying to be a nurse.
“But it didn’t happen,” the station reported him as saying. “It’s complicated to explain.”
-- Ann M. Simmons
Photo: One Goh. Credit: Alameda County Sheriff's Office / EPA