Oakland college shooting: Alleged gunman to appear in court
The alleged gunman accused of fatally shooting seven people at a small Oakland college is set to be arraigned Wednesday afternoon, a spokeswoman for the Alameda County district attorney’s office said.
Prosecutors have yet to officially charge suspect One Goh, but he is being held without bail on seven counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder and other unspecified charges, according to spokeswoman Rebecca Richardson.
His court appearance is scheduled for 2 p.m. It was unclear Wednesday morning whether the DA’s office would seek the death penalty.
Goh, 42, is being held in connection with the rampage that also injured three people Monday morning at Oikos University in Oakland. Goh, a former student at the school, had apparently returned to Oikos on Monday to settle a score.
He had been expelled this year "for behavioral problems, anger management," Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan told reporters Tuesday. Goh had been teased for his broken English, and he felt bullied and angry, Jordan said.
He allegedly ordered the students inside to line up against the wall. When some refused, he opened fire, officials said. He had time during the rampage, authorities believe, to reload and continue shooting.
Six women and one man were killed. They ranged in age from 21 to 53 and were from South Korea, Nigeria, Nepal and the Philippines, largely immigrant students learning English, nursing, theology and Asian medicine. The secretary, Jordan said, was Goh's first victim.
"We don't believe that any of the victims were the ones that teased him," Jordan said. "We believed he stopped [shooting] because people were able to use the phone. He could have heard people calling 911."
Goh was detained a few hours later by Alameda police officers near a Safeway supermarket.
-- Matt Stevens and Maria L. La Ganga and Victoria Kim in Oakland
Photo: One Goh. Credit: Alameda County Sheriff's Office / EPA