L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Second victim in Modesto eviction shooting was a locksmith

 The Stanislaus County Coroner's office released the name of a locksmith fatally shot Thursday at a Modesto apartment when he accompanied a deputy trying to serve an eviction notice. 

Glendon Engert, 35, of Modesto was one of two men killed by a gunman who authorities say opened fire as authorities attempted to evict him. The deputy, 16-year veteran Robert Paris, was also fatally wounded.

Coroner’s spokeswoman Lisa Niff said an autopsy would be performed on Engert's body Friday, but could provide no additional details about the victim.

Officials believe the gunman was also killed sometime Thursday in the midst of a 12-hour standoff, the Modesto Bee reports. By around 10 p.m., flames began pouring from the top of the building, but the fire was extinguished by about 2 a.m, the paper said.   

CBS13 in Sacramento reported Friday that Engert is a locksmith who was helping Paris carry out the eviction. Engert's family confirmed to the Associated Press that the man was an independent locksmith who had been called out to change the locks.

The standoff began around 11 a.m. Thursday and continued late into the night. Around 9 p.m., the Bee reported, six SWAT officers rushed the apartment while officers used loudspeakers to communicate with a man they called "Jimmy."

Modesto police officer Chris Adams told the Bee that the damaged fourplex and four other buildings will continue to be blocked off Friday. Officials also told the paper that because no one has entered the structure, there was still no confirmation late Friday morning that the gunman's body was inside.

ALSO:

Modesto gunman who killed deputy presumed dead in fire

Sheriff's deputy, civilian killed as eviction notice is served in Modesto

Modesto apartment where shooting suspect is believed holed up on fire

-- Matt Stevens

Twitter.com/mattstevenslat

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: